Thursday, April 5, 2012

Should there be an age limit on driving?


Everyone has thought about it. Should the DMV take away your license at a certain age or should it be a case-by-case situation? Personally, I don’t know what’s worse, 100 year-old drivers or 16 year-old drivers who can’t put their cell phones down. I can’t say I believe that once you turn a certain age the DMV simply revokes your license, but I am in favor of some sort of continuing education in place for all drivers as there is for many professions. If every five years you had to retake a driving test, I think we’d all be better off. Personally, I like to think I’m a good driver, but that’s not the problem. It’s about the hundreds of people I pass on a daily basis that worry me…
Driving is difficult when you stop and think about it. Check the traffic ahead, the traffic around you, in your side mirrors, rearview mirrors, check for pedestrians, bikers, debris in the road, speed limits, speed limit changes, construction zones, trains, semi-trucks, motorcycles, red lights, stop-and-go traffic, turn signal-go left, turn signal-go right, head lights, parking lights, backing up, parallel parking, angled parking, straight in parking, and the list goes on and on.
My point is if every few years, everyone was required to undergo some sort of written and driving test it would only help. More jobs are created at the DMV, more drivers keep their driving knowledge fresh, and when people don’t bother doing it, the county would get more money for in tickets and fees. Yes, we ALL hate the DMV and I am no exception. But you know what I hate more than the DMV? Getting hit by someone who shouldn’t have a valid license to begin with.
Click here for a good read to add in the debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment