Monday, April 16, 2012

Drinking and driving


We’ve all heard it time and time again, don’t drink and drive. It's a simple concept. If you drink alcohol, call a cab. It’s really not rocket science. But too many times someone will think of some completely illogical reason they need to get behind the wheel after they’ve had a few. Some excuses I’ve heard:
1.       It’s not that far, I can definitely make it.
2.       I have no cash for a cab.
3.       I need my car first thing in the morning, so I can’t take a cab.
4.       I’ll just drive really slow.
5.       I only had a few, I’m 95% sober.
6.       It won’t happen to me, I’ll be fine.
7.       There are not even any cops out tonight/on the side of town/looking at me.
8.      My car will be towed if I leave it overnight.

And the excuses go on and on. It seems that constantly there are stories in the news about a drunk driver that killed someone, destroyed public property, caused never ending traffic backups, and even killed themselves. But for some reason, certain people drink and drive. Even worse are those who actually plan to drink and drive! They go to the bars and try to keep their drinking to a "reasonable" limit and then drive home. It’s insane and completely irresponsible.
I get it. You think you’re invincible or just super special and nothing bad will ever happen to you. Well give it time, it’ll be you eventually.  The only system that I have found that works is planning on not having a car to begin with. If you take a cab there, then the problem is always solved. You have to figure out a way to get the cash for the cab, you’ll have your car in the morning, you won’t have to try to monitor your alcohol intake and you will NEVER get a dui. Granted, you’re still not safe... although you’re in a cab, the jerk next to you thinks he’s invincible and just got in his car…
Spread the word. Plan ahead – Take a cab – Don’t drink and drive.


No comments:

Post a Comment