Monday, March 5, 2012

Are you always sleepy?

A poll came out today stating that when asked how they sleep the night before they work, 44% of truck drivers say they rarely or never get a good night’s sleep. Reading that alone I thought, oh that can’t be good! They’re on the roads all day and they got a poor night’s sleep?? But the study also said that 42% of non-transportation workers had the same response. I felt this number was extremely high. Are there really that many people with sleep problems?

Personally, I sleep just fine the majority of the time. After waking up at 6:30am for a run with my dogs, working 8-9 hour days, hitting the gym most evenings, cooking for my family and straightening up the house (yes, a daily chore) I don’t have the energy to do anything. I fall asleep within 30 minutes and sleep just fine until my alarm goes off and I do it all over again. The busier my day, the better I sleep. I think many people who have trouble sleeping could solve the problem themselves by adding in more physical exercise. When thinking of a truck driver, if you’re just lounging around relaxing in your house because you know you have to work the next day, it’s not surprising you can’t sleep. Your body wants to know why you’re sleeping. You didn’t do anything to need so much rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment